And remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I just want to show you all some amazing things you can do at home or in the classroom. This is something I do in the classroom periodically but I should probably do it at home because it is SOOOOOOOOOOO much FUN!!!!!!!!

You take baking soda (cheap!!!!$$$) and just dump the stuff in a container of some sort. Here I have it shown in some little baking tins provided by a parent in my classroom. I just poured some [baking soda] into the bottom.

Then, I put some water/vinegar (it calls for only vinegar, but I didn't have very much and so I did about 1/2 and 1/2 water to vinegar solution) and then, added a few drops of liquid water color. You could also add food coloring. I have done both, and they work the same way. 

I put little droppers into the colored vinegar solution. Here, I had some simple ones that I had ordered from Lakeshore. But, if you're at home you could also use medicine droppers. And we just go. to. town. :) 

They drop the colored vinegar solution into the tin of baking soda. It fizzes, it suds, it bubbles, and it does other fun things which the kids come up with on their own. I love hearing the words they use to describe it. 

And since it's different colors, it's even MORE fun. You can talk about mixing colors, you can draw pictures into the baking soda. You can do whatever you want! We even made teeny holds, and squirt our vinegar into the middle an watched it sneak up on us. 

It is also fun to play with. You can pick up the solution and play with it a little bit. Talk about the texture with the kids. But once it gets soupy due to playing with it so much, it's not so easy to pick up. BUT the kids still find it fun, so don't let that stop you. :)









No comments:

Post a Comment